Updating with other credentials?

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Perhaps this is more a windows related question, but perhaps someone can give me some input:

I'm using this application within our intranet to update an internal program (updates as msi-File), so far so good. The only problem is that our users are domainusers which aren't allowed to install programs. Win 7 opens an UAC-Form when it comes to the update, WinXP not. So I have to run the application on the clients computer as administrator, clicking the update form when it comes and install the update.

How would you solve this issue, updating with non-admin-users:

• I thought about changing Netsparkle, to start the installer helper with other credentials, like so:
                process.StartInfo.Domain = "abc";
                process.StartInfo.UserName = "abc";
                process.StartInfo.Password = GetSecureString("blah");
    I'ven't tested it yet, but I'm quite optimistic it would work. The only thing, that makes me headaches is, that I don't want to save the password somewhere in cleartext. I could also make a own passwordform within netsparkle, but if it's possible I'd better avoid it to have the user install this update himself without putting in a password.
  • I could change the command from "msiexec /i" to something like "runas ... msiexec /i", but would run into the same issues as before, but even worse, cause the password will be in the temporary commandfile on harddisk.

I hope you can help me with a solution (within netsparkle-code, the temporary cmdfile or wathever)

Thanks in advance,

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM
Hi,

that's UAC is for :-). If you are a non Admin we have from NetSparkle perspective the following option (could be a feature request)

- Starting the Update with the help of an elevated process when the non admin user enters valid admin credentials

If your users do not have admin credentials it will only work via a local system update service. This was an idea but is not implemented yet

Cheers
Dirk

2011/9/13 Cyber1000 <notifications@codeplex.com>

Perhaps this is more a windows related question, but perhaps someone can give me some input:

I'm using this application within our intranet to update an internal program (updates as msi-File), so far so good. The only problem is that our users are domainusers which aren't allowed to install programs. Win 7 opens an UAC-Form when it comes to the update, WinXP not. So I have to run the application on the clients computer as administrator, clicking the update form when it comes and install the update.

How would you solve this issue, updating with non-admin-users:

• I thought about changing Netsparkle, to start the installer helper with other credentials, like so:
    process.StartInfo.Domain = "abc";
    process.StartInfo.UserName = "abc";
    process.StartInfo.Password = GetSecureString("blah");
    I'ven't tested it yet, but I'm quite optimistic it would work. The only thing, that makes me headaches is, that I don't want to save the password somewhere in cleartext. I could also make a own passwordform within netsparkle, but if it's possible I'd better avoid it to have the user install this update himself without putting in a password.
  • I could change the command from "msiexec /i" to something like "runas ... msiexec /i", but would run into the same issues as before, but even worse, cause the password will be in the temporary commandfile on harddisk.

I hope you can help me with a solution (within netsparkle-code, the temporary cmdfile or wathever)

Thanks in advance,

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (netsparkle@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email netsparkle@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:26 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. No I'm also admin and not only the developer (we are only a small company), but I don't want to give users install rights. I tried it once before, but it ended somewhere in chaos. :-)

"Starting the Update with the help of an elevated process when the non admin user enters valid admin credentials": Sounds good, perhaps I'll have a look at it ... . I would have to enter the admin-credentials everytime, but at least it would work.

A local "system update service"  would be the best choice for me, but I think that would be a bigger step in development ...